Senior Data Scientist
Full-Time | Cyber / Intelligence | Omaha, NE
Barbaricum is a rapidly growing government contractor providing leading-edge support to federal customers, with a particular focus on Defense and National Security mission sets. We leverage more than 13 years of support to stakeholders across the federal government, with established and growing capabilities across Intelligence, Analytics, Engineering, Mission Support, and Communications disciplines. Founded in 2008, our mission is to transform the way our customers approach constantly changing and complex problem sets by bringing to bear the latest in technology and the highest caliber of talent.
Headquartered in Washington, DC's historic Dupont Circle neighborhood, Barbaricum also has a corporate presence in Tampa, FL and Dayton, OH, with team members across the United States and around the world. As a leader in our space, we partner with firms in the private sector, academic institutions, and industry associations with a goal of continually building our expertise and capabilities for the benefit of our employees and the customers we support. Through all of this, we have built a vibrant corporate culture diverse in expertise and perspectives with a focus on collaboration and innovation. Our teams are at the frontier of the Nation's most complex and rewarding challenges. Join us.
Barbaricum is seeking a Data Scientist to provide support to the USSTRATCOM J2 at Offutt Air Force Base near Omaha, Nebraska.
This individual will assist and advise the Government with developing and implementing a set of techniques or analytics applications to transform raw data into meaningful information using data-oriented programming languages and visualization software. They will apply data mining, data modeling, natural language processing, and machine learning to extract and analyze information from large structured and unstructured datasets. Finally, they will visualize, interpret, and report data findings, and create dynamic data reports for consumption/interpretation by the USSTRATCOM J2 staff, Commander USSTRATCOM and other external customers.
- Prepare staff action packages in accordance with USSTRATCOM procedures and support USSTRATCOM planning efforts against a potential adversary's strategic weapons
- Engage with the IC, defense agencies, other combatant commands, and other mission partners and stakeholders in support of USSTRATCOM's mission
- Attend working groups, conferences, and other meetings, as requested by the Government, to advance the J2's understanding of a potential adversary's strategic weapons
- Responsible for writing clear, concise studies, assessments, briefings, reports, staff packages, and other documents
- Develop products in accordance with established processes and governing directives, research the availability and adequacy of existing products, identify shortfalls which may impact the Command's readiness and responsiveness for mission execution, and provide assessments used in the development of production plans
- Manage GIS and cloud-based databases and product-specific files and data services, provide support to develop and execute production plans based on availability or adequacy shortfalls, gauge production progress against outstanding requirements, and provide status updates
- Participate in discussions, meetings, conferences, publication evaluations and special projects, providing accurate and relevant feedback within specified timeframes
- Accomplish, lead, or participate in detailed studies and analysis, as requested by the Government, to optimize internal or external support to the Command; providing timely, accurate, and relevant studies
- Analyze and evaluate process and capability shortfalls and make program management recommendations for improvement
- Research, study, and present technical information, in the form of briefings or written papers, on relevant threat warning issues for senior leaders
- Interact with appropriate entities, as specified by the Government, and utilize existing software to develop digital databases, create maps, charts, and graphics, and shall utilize products and data feeds from Combat Support Agencies and DoD entities
- Collaborate with the appropriate GEOINT Requirements Manager or Geospatial Information & Services (GI&S) Officer to provide input for spatial foundation and analysis requirements
- Provide methodology development, tool evaluation/development, and process design/management support to USSTRATCOM J2 in coordination with other directorates, as well as subordinate service component commands
- Apply basic knowledge of Mathematics, Applied Mathematics, Statistics, Applied Statistics, Machine Learning, Data Science, Data mining, Operations Research, or Computer Science
- Apply relevant experience in designing, implementing machine learning, advanced analytical algorithms, programming, data science, advanced statistical analysis, artificial intelligence, and software engineering
- Integrate and synchronize efforts, as requested by the Government, with other Government agencies or national research centers to aid in deepening collaboration with Allies, Partner Nations, and academia to assist developing their capacities in order to meet theater priorities and counter security threats to the Homeland
- Advise on applicable software solutions and emerging technologies supporting stated requirements in order to meet USSTRATCOM J2 requirements
- Coordinate with data stewards and requirements owners to address known business requirement needs or previously intractable problems by designing, extracting, cleaning, normalizing, analyzing, reviewing, documenting, and automating analysis by merging disparate data or utilizing available data warehouse, and programming language such as R, Python, or SQL
- Identify, recommend, and use exploratory data analysis, statistical analysis, root-cause analysis, structured/unstructured predictive analytics, predictive modeling, optimization, and forecasting to produce actionable data-driven insights and outcomes for both time-sensitive and long-term business questions
- Recommend and consult on probability and statistical processes and how to apply them, including logistic regression, forecasting analysis, cluster analysis, spatial analysis, risk simulation, hypothesis testing, Bayesian analysis, and predictive modeling
- Develop, measure, collect, analyze, and report the business value and alignment of CIO solution delivery, services, and operations as well as the performance of business activities to fully understand business and operational problems and opportunities for improvement
- Active DoD Top Secret clearance required
- Master’s degree in Mathematics, Applied Mathematics, Statistics, Applied Statistics, Machine Learning, Data Science, Operations Research, or Computer Science. A degree in a related field (e.g., Computer Information Systems), a degree in the physical/hard sciences (e.g. physics, chemistry, biology, astronomy), or other science disciplines (i.e., behavioral, social, and life) may be considered if it includes a concentration of coursework (typically 5 or more courses) in advanced mathematics
- 10+ years of demonstrated experience in designing/implementing machine learning, data mining, advanced analytical algorithms, programming, predictive modeling, testing and experimentation, and advanced operations research, data science, data cleaning, data discovery, advanced statistical analysis, artificial intelligence, visualizations, and/or software engineering
- 10+ years of Python scripting and data analysis proficiency
- 3+ years of experience using analytical concepts and statistical techniques