Full-Stack Software Engineer – Department of Defense
Contingent on Contract Award | Cyber / Intelligence | Washington, DC
Barbaricum is a rapidly growing government contractor providing leading-edge support to federal customers, with a particular focus on Defense and National Security mission sets. We leverage more than 13 years of support to stakeholders across the federal government, with established and growing capabilities across Intelligence, Analytics, Engineering, Mission Support, and Communications disciplines. Founded in 2008, our mission is to transform the way our customers approach constantly changing and complex problem sets by bringing to bear the latest in technology and the highest caliber of talent.
Headquartered in Washington, DC's historic Dupont Circle neighborhood, Barbaricum also has a corporate presence in Tampa, FL and Dayton, OH, with team members across the United States and around the world. As a leader in our space, we partner with firms in the private sector, academic institutions, and industry associations with a goal of continually building our expertise and capabilities for the benefit of our employees and the customers we support. Through all of this, we have built a vibrant corporate culture diverse in expertise and perspectives with a focus on collaboration and innovation. Our teams are at the frontier of the Nations' most complex and rewarding challenges. Join us.
Barbaricum is seeking an experienced Full-Stack Software Engineer to provide support to the DoD's Joint Artificial Intelligence Center (JAIC), which is focused on the direction, synchronization and modernization of Artificial Intelligence across the DoD enterprise.
This individual will provide development subject matter expertise to support to the following: Development of strategies to reduce technology and non-technology barriers to AI adoption; Ensuring relevant missions are operating consistently to identify and exploit modernization opportunities; Coordination of information flow across the Directorate and with other relevant Directorates; Management of taskers and monitoring of performance measures; Elucidation of use cases for AI; and delivering sustainable, useful, and reliable AI products.
- Designs and develops software requirements for multiple Artificial Intelligence based products including the software architectures, APIs, frameworks, and libraries.
- Develops front end and backend of software prototypes, components, and tooling that can be leveraged to speed prototyping process.
- Maintains and guides the development of common libraries and tools used by multiple teams.
- Aids in formulating a strategy on how to achieve rapid prototyping of AI capabilities.
- Works with data scientists, UX designers, cognitive scientists, developers, and testers to compose cohesive and sound software designs that form the basis of scalable AI solutions.
- Documents requirements and specifications and reviews documentation provided by other teams and vendors.
- Optimizes software designs and architectures to deliver desired performance targets and devises tooling and methodologies to profile execution and capture performance metrics.
- Stays informed on latest AI system and software architectures and trends from design patterns to DevSecOps and systems architecture patterns.
- Works closely with clients and requirements owners to build out product lines.
- Develops plans, road maps, software design strategies.
- Analyze and decomposes activities and requirements to software designs that are allocated across systems components/sub-components.
- Captures, develops, and reports reference architectures and documenting compliance standards.
- Active DoD Secret clearance required
- Bachelors degree in a highly quantitative field (Computer Science, Machine Learning, Operational Research, Statistics, Mathematics, etc.) or equivalent professional or military experience
- 5+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
- 4+ years of experience with web application, service, or back-end development
- 3+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
- Experience with front end frameworks like React or Vue
- Experience with backend runtimes and frameworks like Node.js, Spring, Spring Boot, Django, Flask, etc.
- Experience with Agile software development methodologies and tools
- Well versed in modern software architectures like micro-services as well as front-end frameworks
- DevSecOps experience a big plus
- Strong communications skills; engineers will be required to proactively engage members both inside and outside of your team
- Ability to synthesize requirements underlying feature requests, recommend alternative technical and business approaches, and facilitate engineering efforts to meet aggressive timelines