Weekend Media Analyst – Department of Justice
Contingent on Contract Award | Integrated Communications | Remote
Barbaricum is a rapidly growing government contractor providing leading-edge support to federal customers, with a particular focus on Defense and National Security mission sets. We leverage more than 13 years of support to stakeholders across the federal government, with established and growing capabilities across Intelligence, Analytics, Engineering, Mission Support, and Communications disciplines. Founded in 2008, our mission is to transform the way our customers approach constantly changing and complex problem sets by bringing to bear the latest in technology and the highest caliber of talent.
Headquartered in Washington, DC's historic Dupont Circle neighborhood, Barbaricum also has a corporate presence in Tampa, FL and Dayton, OH, with team members across the United States and around the world. As a leader in our space, we partner with firms in the private sector, academic institutions, and industry associations with a goal of continually building our expertise and capabilities for the benefit of our employees and the customers we support. Through all of this, we have built a vibrant corporate culture diverse in expertise and perspectives with a focus on collaboration and innovation. Our teams are at the frontier of the Nation's most complex and rewarding challenges. Join us.
Barbaricum is seeking a Weekend Media Analyst to join a team supporting the The Department of Justice Office of Public Affairs (PAO). This position is remote. The ideal candidate will be responsible for identifying, capturing, and analyzing media coverage to produce a news clips and analysis report that is sent to stakeholders and leaders within the Department. The anticipated schedule for this position is 5am-1pm Eastern.
- Utilize software tools, websites, and other open-source research methods to identify news coverage of interest to the government office and its stakeholders.
- Analyze news content, linking similar storylines together in a single narrative and identifying specific nuances in media coverage.
- Deliver the daily news report on time and to a high-quality standard each day, Monday through Friday.
- Use various search platforms and media monitoring tools (Barbaricum will train candidate on these tools) to collect, organize, analyze, and assess media data about a wide range of topic areas. This includes examining traditional, broadcast and social media data.
- Analyze media analysis results to provide key takeaways and recommendations.
- BA/BS in a communications-related field preferred
- 2+ years relevant communications, media, or public affairs experience
- Experience in media monitoring and analysis
- Experience working on government contracts a plus
- Experience working in any of the following fields a plus: national security, intelligence, Department of Justice, Federal Bureau of Investigation
- Excellent open-source research skills to search hundreds of media outlets to identify those news articles most important to the client
- Ability to conduct research, gather data, assess information, interpret results, and write reports analyzing nuanced media coverage
- Strong writing and editing skills to produce concise summaries and analyses of news topics with minimal formatting or grammar errors
- Ability to work independently with little supervision
- Reliable and able to work under tight deadlines for product submission
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with the ability to rapidly collect, collate, and effectively present research and analysis to necessary stakeholders
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Familiarity with data analytics tools such as Meltwater, LexisNexis, Critical Mention, or TVEyes a plus